Tuesday, January 12, 2016

2016 Will Be Brought To You By......

......the word serenity. Let me explain. Instead of New Years Resolutions I pick a word to focus on for the year. For the past couple of years I have picked consistency, and while it is something I can always improve on, it was time to broaden my horizons with a new word. I decided on serenity because it is something I need in my life. My life is chaotic....I have alot of things on my plate, but instead of being the spaz I tend to be I would love to be more serene. The definition I am basing this year on is "the state of being calm, peaceful and untroubled". I long to be seen as an oasis in the middle of the craziness of life. This week, and yes I realize it is only Tuesday has been a test for me. Yesterday I had a busy day. I led my No Excuse Mom Group in the morning, after that I was heading to our community college to take a placement test, because after a 19 year "break" I am going back to school and finally I was holding our PTA meeting, did I forget to mention that I am a PTA president? The workout went awesome so I headed to the college. I was being tested in Math, Reading Comp and Writing. I am not a Math person, so I wasn't expecting a high score but I really thought the two English sections would be a piece of cake. I took the tests got my scores and headed down to advising to register for a class, I am starting out slow and only taking one class this semester. I had a surprise when it turns out my Writing score was 2 points shy of what it needed to be to take the first English college level course. She suggested I try again the next day and see if I could pass. I left the office distraught. Its a blow to your pride when you are not as good as you think you are! I will admit I was not feeling serene at all.
By the time I got home I was actually feeling more serene about the whole thing. Only 2 points away after a 19 year break....not bad! Besides I was going back the next day and that was that. The PTA meeting went better than expected so by this time serene is my middle name. Then I go back today. I had an action plan on how I was going to do better. I felt confident, I was ready. However, I got a point lower than I did yesterday! My first reaction wasn't serene or anything close to it, but I stopped and took a breath. The fact that I am taking a "remedial" English class isn't a bad thing. By taking this course and filling in the few gaps I might be able to CLEP out of some of the first level English classes. I love to write, and improving it will only make writing papers during my college career better. So while serenity is not my first reaction yet, it is only January!

No comments:

Post a Comment